What is Network Edge?
The Network Edge (NE for short) is a dynamic offer that allows the selection, configuration and activation of virtual network devices and services into production in near real time.
NE is an open source x86-based infrastructure platform that's optimized for the instant deployment and interconnection of network services. NE enables a variety of use cases where time to market, proximity to the edge of major content and Enterprises services, minimizing touch points and other key requirements are a factor.
If you are familiar with the Equinix Performance Hub offer and reference architecture, think Performance Hub, but virtual.
Our vision is that NE users can perform all of the following in minutes:
- Select an appropriate network service and vendor to match your immediate or long term needs (e.g. a Cisco router or a Juniper firewall)
- Choose the right licensing structure that works for your organization (either bring your own license or use Equinix's subscription service)
- Configure the device with basic settings in the portal or via API
- Deploy the device in the desired Equinix location around the globe
- Create connections to other devices, other Equinix services (such as Cloud Exchange Fabric) or access the device directly to implement additional configurations just as you would any other network equipment
The plug and play NE solution includes everything you need to start interconnecting to cloud, content and data center assets.
The platform includes a Network Edge Instance that features:
- Infrastructure resources that have already been tested with and optimized for your specific device and vendor
- A pre-configured virtual port into the ECX to connect with service providers and other members of the platform around the globe
- A small starting amount of dedicated internet access to connect to your devices from anywhere
- A small block of publicly routable IP Addresses
The platform also has a Network Edge Device that includes:
- A full image of the selected device with a pre-loaded OS from the vendor
- A license management system that either accepts your existing license or allows you to use ours for a monthly fee
- VPN, SSH and other portal-based services to ensure secure, direct access to your device
Once your device is activated, you can use it as the A-end for any connections just like you would a physical port. To get started, select Create Connection within the portal at any time.
Available Vendors and Device Types
NE includes access to a marketplace of available device types and vendors. The options may vary depending on time and your location.
Those choices may include traditional routers, firewalls, SDWAN appliances and many others. Navigate through the platform to configure and purchase service components.
The NE Trial Program offers a basic and rapid configuration flow, several devices to choose from, a small amount of public internet access and a handful of cloud hyperscaler destinations you can reach.
The Trial Program allows you to try all of the basic features and tasks that the platform has to offer at no charge. It has a fixed time limit and includes some feature limitations. Learn more about the Edge Services Trial Program.
Trial Program Support
Email support is available for NE users via this address: email@example.com.
ECX Fabric Resource Center: The ECX Fabric Resource Center is the online documentation center for ECX. This portal offers basic user guidance for NE inside of the ECX Fabric.
Cloud Exchange Quick Guide: An online guide to the language and definitions associated with ECX Fabric technology.