What is Network Edge?
The Network Edge (NE for short) is a dynamic new offer that allows the selection, configuration and activation of virtual network devices and services into production in near real time.
NE is an infrastructure platform that’s optimized for the instant deployment and interconnection of network services. NE enables a variety of use cases where time to market, proximity to the edge of major content and Enterprises services, minimizing touch points, and other key requirements are a factor.
If you are familiar with the Equinix Performance Hub offer and reference architecture, think Performance Hub, but virtual.
Our vision is that NE users can perform all of the following in minutes:
- Select an appropriate network service and vendor to match your immediate or long term needs (e.g. a Cisco router or a Juniper firewall)
- Choose the right licensing structure that works for your organization (either bring your own license or use Equinix’s subscription service)
- Configure the device with basic settings in the portal or APIDeploy the device in the desired Equinix location globally
- Create connections to other devices, other Equinix services (such as Cloud Exchange Fabric) or access the device directly to implement additional configurations just as you would any other network equipment
NE offers an open-source x86 infrastructure for device and service deployment.
The overall solution natively includes the necessary compute, storage and other factors for the virtual service. NE and is plug and play ready to interact with the other Equinix Interconnection products that are already included in the base package.
Take advantage of a marketplace of available device types and vendors.
The options may vary depending on time and your location.
Those choices may include traditional routers, firewalls, SDWAN appliances and many others. Navigate through the platform to configure and purchase service components including those listed below.
The platform features a virtual cabinet that includes:
- Infrastructure resources that have already been tested with and optimized for your specific device
- A pre-configured virtual port into the ECX to connect with service providers and other members of the platform globally
- A small starting amount of dedicated internet access to connect to your devices from anywhere
- TACACS or other user management instance
- A small block of publicly routable IP Addresses
The platform also has a virtual device that includes:
- A full image of the selected device with current OS from the vendor
- A license management system that either accepts your existing license or allows you to use ours for a monthly fee
- VPN, SSH and other portal-based services to ensure secure direct access to your device
- Once your device is activated, you can use it as the A-end for any connections, just like you would a physical port.
To get started, select Create Connection within the portal at any time.
About The Beta Program
The Beta program offers a basic and rapid configuration flow, two devices to choose from, a small amount of public internet access and a handful of cloud hyperscaler destinations you can reach. You can also add SSH services for direct access to your device and VPN services to connect securely to your device and backhaul traffic.
Beta Program Support
The following support is available during the beta program via email: email@example.com.
The Beta program does not include 24/7 Support. The global service desk and the NOC are not available for Beta program support. Local support methods are also not available during this program.
Join The Beta Program
We’ve invited key customers to participate in the first round of the Beta program. Trying it out is as easy as logging into the current ECX portal.
Anyone with ECX credentials can participate, but we will need to whitelist your username first.
If you are interested in being a beta participant, reach out to your Equinix sales team or visit https://www.equinix.com/solutions/network-functions-virtualization/ and enter your information.
A representative will get back to you.
Beta participants will be able see several new functions in the portal. We'll ask you to fill out a short survey the first time you navigate to the new sections.
ECX Fabric Resource Center: The ECX Fabric Resource Center is the online documentation center for ECX. This portal offers basic user guidance for NE inside of the ECX Fabric.
Cloud Exchange Quick Guide: An online guide to the language and definitions associated with ECX Fabric technology.